Tuesday, November 29, 2005

Why ever...

So I'm on the pot one cold morning, contemplating the complaints of screaming fans that I haven't posted anything lately. Which brought to the issue of why people blog at all?

Ok, fan.

So I did what people such as I would, and I augmented my two and a half thoughts with some amount of internet research, and decided to let it loose on the pointless-blog reading mileu.

Well, she wasn't really screaming, it was more ponderous wondering...

So, why do they? people, blog, that is.

LOVELESSNESS
If Eleanor Rigby was alive, she'd have a blog, probably. People who don't have anyone to listen to their provocative thoughts on the Middle East crisis, for instance, finally have a forum to share their deeply insightful wonderings. It was personal home-pages the last couple of years, it's a blog these days. Some of it is about the ego-trippers and how awesome they are. And how cute their dog is. No, that's not his dog, it's one next to the car, on the fourth doggie photograph.

ENTERTAINMENT
This is my favourite kind of blog. Closet-writers, and genuinely funny people who like making people laugh, think, cry, wonder and who never got published. Also the sort who didn't get published since the writing's not worth it. My guess would be that this is one helluva outlet for creativity yet undiscovered by the corporate world.

ANONYMITY
I keep hearing of people who go fined or arrested or fatwa-ed or roasted on the spit for their opinion. I guess anonymous blogging is a good way around it. A lot of bloggers keep their true identity to themselves, either to be cool, or to bitch about stuff without putting it on the line. It's like being Superman without having to buy underwear a size larger, and not having to save the world either.

There are probably a few more, but I'm too lazy to think about it right now. More later, maybe.

2 comments:

Tamara. said...

People blog to get laid, piglet; augment that.

Mr. D said...

true, true.... but i'd imagine that'd be a part of lovelessness (and loneliness) etc.