Monday, January 30, 2006

Freedom...

... of the press?

I was reading something completely unrelated, and tripped upon stuff about the RFS (Reporters Sans Frontiers, or Reporters Without Borders).

They have this index called the Worldwide Press Freedom Index. India is ranked 106 on this index (while most of Scandinavia is at 1). I hadn't imagined it to be so bad. Of course I might also doubt the index and its basis. The bottom of the table has the usual suspects, such as China, Iraq, Iran, Burma and Cuba and all.

It's funded partly by the US State Department and the French Government, and a Cuban liberation society (or something). I can't help wonder if such donations might bias things. (Yes, I did notice that the USA is at 44, and France at 30 on their index)

Among other interesting things is their publication, something called the Handbook for Bloggers and Cyber-Dissidents. Download it here in case you're into that sort of thing.

(I think it's ironic that the Blogspot spellcheck function doesn't recognise Blogger as a word)

No comments: