Sunday, September 17, 2006

Foodie...

... post after a long while.

Basically, the 'fans' have been complaining about the lack of posts etc., and I DO have a backlog of stuff...

So...

La Kwonchie (who's birthday it is, today), The Long One and I had this Saturday afternoon free, many noons ago. We were contemplating a variety of things from going here to doing that, but ended up stuffing our faces with some (supposedly) authentic Korean grub. Yes, right here, in your favourite city, at Hae Kum Gang on Castle Street.


My half-cooked views (and only my own) on (authentic) Korean food:

1. Korean food is broadly like other oriental food (read Chinese) but is spicier. Not spicy as in Andhra biriyani spicy, but more like in-your-nose-funnily spicy. But it's spicy.

2. It's skewed towards more fish and pork, and I'm guessing the chicken is mostly for Indian tastes. No, there is no dog on the menu at this place, contrary to what someone asked me.

3. Korean chopsticks are made of metal (often silver) and are sharper. i.e. it's better for gouging out the eyes of your dreaded enemy in kung-fu style than the usual run-of-the-mill Chinese ones (if one is into that sort of thing). So you wouldn't want to f**k with a guy brandishing Korean chopsticks. It also slides into a honeyed potato nicely. From my memory, the Chinese ones aren't so good at that. That's some sort of fried potato thing I'm edging towards:


4. Kimchi is important. I didn't enjoy the stuff they gave here. I'm going to give Kimchi another chance at another place, some other time.


My views about Hae Kum Gang:

1. The food was nice. This is what I had: Rice and Spicy Prawn. I loved it. I successfully navigated the entire meal with the chopsticks. Kwonchie had the fish meal, and the Long One seafood noodles, which had a load of mussels.


2. The decor rocks. In a delightfully kitschy way, with lots of red, green and bamboo. And this bigass fish.


3. It SEEMS to be good value-for-money. The portions are filling, and they do pamper one with a bunch of starters (some of them pictured below). They also gave some sort of dessert which had various fruits in some really tasty sweetish syrup (that's the last photograph below)


Overall, give it a go. I think it's worth the occasional meal.

All photos taken with the camera on my phone.

9 comments:

blr bytes said...

Good food it is!

Went there once with Aleph and it was a strange experience. We were the only 'natives' there, the waiters pretended to speak only Korean and there was a large party of Koreans that were itching for us to leave before breaking out the copious quantities of booze they'd stowed under their table!

As for the kimchi, it's pretty authentic by which I mean fermented. It used to be buried for the winter to augment meagre fresh vegetable stock.

There is one place in Koramangala too. Must try that one...

Pooja said...

The best part about Korean food is the beef, which I am assuming they didn't serve here.

It's this dish, Bulgogi, which they cook on your table itself on a grill and you can time picking up your pieces depending on how well done you want them.

corporate whore said...

"give it a go" - meaning skip it, or take it?

Mr. D said...

@Pooja: Ah yes.... beef, well done. Pleasures of the worldly life.

@'Ho: Oh, I meant a yes. Please try it. I think I meant give it a shot?

mohayana said...

He pulled a silver chop-stick on me...I reached for my nan-chak

Anonymous said...

do you as a rule photograph everything you eat????

Mr. D said...

@makyo: yeah yeah....

@anon: not really, though i do have a large number of food pictures. maybe it's because i spend so much time eating.

Anonymous said...

haha. its beginning to show

Mr. D said...

what? that I eat a lot? or that I take a lot of pictures?

Actually, don't answer that.